Tennis champion Naomi Osaka withdraws from Wimbledon
Tennis champion Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the Wimbledon tennis tournament, according to a representative.
“Naomi will not be playing at Wimbledon this year,” the Osaka representative said in a statement. “She’s making time with her friends and family. She will be ready for the Olympics and is excited to perform in front of her home fans.”
The Tokyo Olympics begin at the end of July.
The Grand Slam defending champion defeated Jennifer Brady at the Australian Open in February, solidifying her position at the top of professional women’s tennis in 2021.
But the defending champion went on to shock the world when she pulled out of the 2021 French Open, saying a fine for not speaking to the media added to her social anxiety.
“The best thing for the tournament, the other players and my well-being is that I am stepping back so that everyone can concentrate again on the tennis which is happening in Paris,” Osaka said at the time.
In the May 31 announcement posted on social media, Osaka said, “The truth is that I have suffered from long periods of depression since the US Open in 2018 and have had a hard time coping with it.”
Osaka had previously announced that she would not speak to the media during Roland Garros.
Tennis authorities then said the star “chose not to honor her contractual obligations with the media” and fined her $ 15,000 for it.
Men’s tennis star Rafael Nadal also announced on Thursday that he was skipping Wimbledon and the Olympics, which he said he decided to do after “listening” to his body.