Rafa Nadal’s huge warning from coach ahead of Wimbledon return
Rafa Nadal’s coach said he is not appearing struggling with his foot injury as the Spaniard heads to his first Wimbledon in three years.
Nadal underwent foot procedures after winning the French Open and his 22nd Grand Slam title, putting him in doubt for Wimbledon.
DECISION: Wimbledon ignores Ash Barty’s plea in controversial appeal
CONTROVERSIAL: Serena Williams’ former coach in a ‘cheating’ storm
The 35-year-old has announced his intention to play at Wimbledon and has played his first matches on grass ahead of the tournament.
Nadal played against three-time Grand Slam champion Stan Wawrinka in an exhibition match and showed no ill effects from the injury which left fans fearful for his future.
He has since played against Francis Tiafoe and Félix Auger-Aliassime in exhibition matches on grass.
And after a number of positive signs, coach Marc Lopez has confirmed the Spaniard is relatively stress-free with his foot leading at Wimbledon.
“There are good days and bad days,” coach Lopez told EFE publication.
“This surface is very ruthless, everything happens very fast. We train with people who serve very well.
“At the moment everything is positive. The foot problem, which has always been the most worrying, is OK. We have to finish adjusting the training, the other day [Wednesday] he played very well in the exhibition [at the Hurlingham Club against Wawrinka] and now we have to be ready for tuesday [first-round] match [at Wimbledon].”
Nadal announced late last week that a procedure to reduce nerve pain in his foot had helped him in his quest for a record 23rd men’s Grand Slam title at Wimbledon.
Rafa Nadal avoids tricky draw at Wimbledon
Nadal heads to Wimbledon as the second seed having already won the Australian Open and French Open this year to achieve a record 22 men’s Grand Slam singles titles.
There is the possibility of a rare Grand Slam of the calendar.
He must win the Wimbledon title for the first time since 2010 to stay in contention for that elusive sweep, last achieved in men’s singles in 1969 by Rod Laver.
Murray, who like Nadal is a two-time former Wimbledon champion, has been paired with Australian James Duckworth and could face American John Isner in the second round.
Murray has been troubled by abdominal tension for the past fortnight, and it remains to be seen if the 35-year-old is fit to be a contender.
with the AAP
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest stories from Australia and around the world.