Qld, COVID alert NSW, Melbourne COVID restrictions to ease, 2021 original state results, NSW snow cover state, Stockton filming, Victoria weather causes power outages
Victoria’s Deputy Chief Health Officer Allen Cheng expresses concern that a source for today’s four cases has not been identified.
As a result, there will be a change in tonight’s easing of restrictions in Greater Melbourne: masks will remain mandatory outdoors.
The four new cases are four members of a household in Reservoir and authorities have yet to identify a cross with existing COVID-19 exposure sites.
The family consists of an 80-year-old man, an 80-year-old woman, a 50-year-old man and a 20-year-old man. The first case in the family, the 80-year-old man, became symptomatic on June 7 and was tested the next day, meaning exposure sites were limited. Areas of concern include an independent grocery store in Reservoir, a BP and Bunnings in Thomastown and a Coles in Bundoora Square.
Professor Cheng also questioned the further lifting of restrictions next week, which the government foreshadowed yesterday.
“As I said before, once we get down to small numbers, what happens next depends a lot on who these latter cases are, what they do and how contagious they are,” a- he declared.
“Obviously what worries me is that whoever transmitted the infection to these two groups will be identified quickly and not have the opportunity to pass it on to other people.”
Today’s new cases were the “strongest reminder that we are yet to come out of the woods,” added the deputy chief health officer.
“So depending on how things go next week, and as the case of last week has shown, this is really a daily proposition, we may have to keep the current settings a bit. longer, âhe said. “But obviously we’ll have more to say about this as the investigations progress.”