NSW records second death from Japanese encephalitis
A second person has died of a serious illness in New South Wales that is transmitted to humans by infected mosquitoes.
A second person with Japanese encephalitis has died in New South Wales.
A man in his 60s from the Corowa area died Friday at Albury Base Hospital after being diagnosed with the virus in early March.
So far, 13 NSW residents have been infected with the virus and two have died.
The virus is transmitted by mosquitoes and can infect animals and humans.
There is no specific treatment for the virus, which can cause severe neurological illnesses, with headaches, seizures and decreased consciousness in some cases.
The first notification of Japanese encephalitis (JE) in NSW was at the end of February and since then NSW Health has been working with local health providers to ensure those most at risk of exposure are vaccinated.
As evidence shows mosquito numbers have declined, health authorities are urging people to be vigilant and take steps to avoid mosquito bites.
Those most at risk include piggery workers, veterinarians, people involved in animal transport, students working with pigs, laboratory workers handling Japanese encephalitis, entomologists and others involved in trapping animals and mosquitoes for surveillance purposes.
Eight of the 13 cases in New South Wales have been recorded in Murrumbidgee district, which has also recorded the two deaths.
To avoid being bitten by mosquitoes, people are advised to avoid going outside during peak mosquito times, especially at dawn and in dusty conditions and near wetlands and buses.
Other steps include wearing long sleeves and pants outside, shoes and socks, and applying repellent to exposed skin, especially those containing DEET, picaridin, or kerosene oil. lemon eucalyptus.
The virus cannot spread between humans and it cannot be caught by eating pork or other pork products.
NSW Health conducts statewide mosquito surveillance annually from November through April and, in response to the JE outbreak, has expanded surveillance around infected pig barns and areas where human cases have been reported.