Get to know the nature and charm of New Zealand
New Zealand is the second largest state on the Pacific continent, after Australia. It is made up of two large islands, the so-called North and South, and many other smaller ones. Its isolation due to its geography is remarkable; however, this has never stopped New Zealanders from exploring the rest of the world. It always positively surprises tourists approaching this island and provides memorable experiences. From its landscapes and its history to the habits of its inhabitants, New Zealand hides amazing “treasures”.
Read on 5 things about New Zealand and find out what to expect from your visit there:
- The whole country is a volcano
Placed in the so-called “peaceful ring of fire”, New Zealand wins the title of volcanic country. Many of them are still active, including the Ruapehu Volcano, which is the highest point in the country and was named Mount Doom in the epic ‘Lord of the Rings’ trilogy. It is a fact that the largest city in the state, Auckland, is located in the homonymous volcanic field where 53 volcanoes dominate. Despite this, and to make you feel safe, let me inform you that the last volcanic eruption occurred around 500 years ago.
- Crystal clear waters
New Zealand is particularly known in activist circles for the incredible purity of its waters. A point of reference is Blue Lake, located in Nelson Lakes National Park. This lake has a depth of almost 80 meters and is called Rotomairewhenva, which in the language of the local natives of the country means the lake of peaceful land. Indeed blue and pure waters only peace and tranquility can offer its happy visitors.
- The primacy of sheep
The main occupation of New Zealanders is agriculture and animal husbandry. The incredible number of sheep grazing in the Oceania country is indicative of the great love that New Zealanders have for animal husbandry. In particular, these adorable animals number about 40 million, a number that not only exceeds the number of permanent inhabitants, but is nine times greater than it. However, the numerous herds mainly accumulate in the province of the country, staying away from the inhospitable urban centers of the big cities.
- Culinary options
The intense agricultural and livestock activity of New Zealanders constitutes the important production of butter and cheese, which places these products at the base of New Zealand gastronomy. Another result of the above is found in the high quality of meat in the country and especially in the famous New Zealand lamb. Of excellent quality are characterized both by the fruits and vegetables produced and, of course, exported abroad, as well as by the local and award-winning wine extracted directly from local vineyards. Nevertheless, New Zealand cuisine has also received several influences from external sources. The English influence in the country has made the famous fish and chips the most famous fast food that can be tasted in the country. On the other hand, the traditional sweet potato used for centuries by the Maori natives has won over New Zealand foodies and is often added to local culinary delights.
- The special animal kingdom
At least eleven species of animals have been observed exclusively on the territory of New Zealand. Among them are the region’s walruses, the “yellow-eyed” and “little blue” penguins, and the Tuatara, a particular species of lizard. It is however characteristic that the human presence constitutes only 5% of the total percentage of living organisms in the country, the remaining 95% being occupied by fauna. However, the most famous animal in the region is called the kiwi, and it is a small bird with strong legs, no tail and hairy wings. It is of rare beauty and is distinguished by its small long beak, but without the ability to fly. This is the main reason why, unfortunately, the animal is now an endangered species.
Follow the latest news live on CEOWORLD magazine and get news updates from the United States and around the world. The opinions expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of CEOWORLD magazine.
Follow the headlines of CEOWORLD magazine on Google News, Twitter, and Facebook. For media inquiries, please contact: [email protected]