Double demerit removed for NSW in October
For the first time, double incapacities were removed for the October long weekend, as NSW police wanted to give period weary residents a “break”.
For the first time, double demerit points will be removed for the October long weekend in NSW.
Police Minister David Elliott said the unprecedented move comes at a time when the public is weary of the rules and in need of a break. However, he warned that those who do the wrong thing will still be caught, and moving cameras and police will be in force.
The long weekend will fall during the lockdown period, with stay-at-home orders still applying in many areas of the state.
“We have been governed and regulated for months,” Mr Elliott told The The telegraph of the day.
“We are aware of the anxiety that these public health orders have created in the community. People feel like they’ve been ruled within an inch of their lives.
“That doesn’t mean you won’t get a fine for doing the wrong thing. The police will always be there in force. It’s more about giving people a break after a long and difficult year.
“And I will continue to watch what breaks we can offer as we work towards 80 percent.”
This is the first time that double demerit points have been suspended since their introduction in 1997.
It comes as alcohol bans in some key parks have been lifted and the state government prepares to release details of restrictions that will be relaxed when the 80% vaccination rate is reached, which is expected to happen. fall on October 25.
“Stay-at-home orders continue to apply to much of New South Wales, so the only people on the roads in lockdown areas should be those with a reasonable excuse. “
So far, the response to the news on social media has been mixed. One user wrote: “Disappointing… let’s hope the road toll doesn’t increase due to the change.
Another said: “I guess with so little traffic on the roads at the moment. it will cost more in wages to put so many cops on the road for the long weekend that they would be hard pressed to earn enough to pay wages etc.
Another wrote: “It was about time too, it was always about income, not saving lives!
Others were skeptical of the announcement.
So far in 2021, 203 people have lost their lives on the road, while last year there were 10,806 hospitalizations with serious injuries from an accident.
According to data from Transport NSW, around the same time last year, 215 lives have been lost on the road so far, more than this year.